When it comes to family game nights, finding a game that everyone can enjoy can be a challenge. Fortunately, Qwirkle is a game that fits the bill. Qwirkle is a strategy game but it’s really easy to get a handle on. It’s perfect for players 6+, making it a great game for family game nights. My son and I have had countless battles with this game night in and night out. I played with him just this evening, and he won, again!
Origins of Qwirkle
Qwirkle was created by Susan McKinley Ross and was first published in 2006 by MindWare. The game has won several awards, including the prestigious Mensa Select award. Qwirkle is a simple game with colorful blocks that can be played with two to four players. The game’s name comes from the word “quirk,” which means a peculiar behavior or characteristic.
Affiliate Disclaimer—This page contains affiliate links and I earn a commission if you make a purchase through one of the links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The objective of Qwirkle is to score points by placing blocks on the game board to create lines of matching colors or shapes. The game comes with 108 wooden blocks in six different colors and six different shapes. There are three of each shape and color, making a total of 18 blocks of each color and shape.
The game begins with all the blocks placed into the bag(that comes with the game), and players take turns drawing six blocks from the bag. The player with the most similar tiles start. The first player places one or more blocks on the table to create a line of either the same color or all the same shape. The player then scores one point for each block in the line.
On subsequent turns, players can add to existing lines or create new ones. The only rule is that each block must be placed adjacent to another block, and each line must be either the same color or all the same shape. All the players should continue taking turns until all the blocks have been played. The player with the most points at the end of the game wins… That’s my son in most of the games we’ve played together.
Fun for the Whole Family
Qwirkle is a game that the whole family can enjoy. It’s easy to learn but challenging to master, making it a great game for players of all ages and skill levels. Here are just a few reasons why Qwirkle is a great game for family game nights:
- Easy to Learn: This game is uber simple to learn in just a few minutes. The rules are straightforward, and the gameplay is intuitive.
- Strategic Gameplay: The game is easy to learn and it’s challenging to master. Players must think strategically about which blocks to play and where to place them to maximize their points.
- Colorful Blocks: The colorful blocks make the game visually appealing and engaging for players of all ages.
- Educational Value: Qwirkle can help younger players develop their color and shape recognition skills. The can also help older players develop their strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Great for Large Groups: Qwirkle can be played with up to four players. It’s a great game for families or groups of friends as well.
- Fast-Paced Gameplay: Qwirkle is a fast-paced game that keeps players engaged from start to finish. There’s no downtime between turns, so players stay invested in the game at all times.
- Replayability: This ‘quirky’ game is different every time you play it so the whole family can play and play again without getting sick of it.
Qwirkle is a game that the whole family can enjoy. I’m not just trying to sell this idea to you…Take my word for it, every family should own a Qwirkle box. It’ll be a great investment for your family! It gives time away from everyone’s phones and the television as well and it’s a great way to get a conversation going about the day’s events and just plain old family time.
Hey You!! “At our Facebook group for fathers, you’ll find a safe and supportive space where you can share your experiences, ask for advice, and connect with other dads from around the world. Join us today!!”